Monday, October 10, 2011

Meal Plan Monday

 

So today is meal plan Monday but I am not really doing a meal plan this week as my husband is out of town for the week and my freezers are in dire need to being cleaned out.  So this week is “Clean out the Freezer” week.  I figured it was a good time to do it since my toddler and preschooler don’t really appreciate it when I make an effort to cook and usually end up eating a few bites then asking for a sandwich.  “sigh”

My plan of attack this week is looking in the freezers each morning and pulling something out…quite simple.  Smile

But don’t worry, I won’t leave the post just at this.  My family had an early Thanksgiving Dinner last weekend so Saturday I made a nice home cooked meal with the left-over turkey…Home-made Turkey soup, cheddar biscuits and apple pie.  I got the 2 recipes from my favourite food site – Our Best Bites…it is a fantastic food blog, it makes me laugh and I haven’t had a recipe fail on me yet. 

I did do the biscuits a bit different, I used a pastry blender instead of a mixer (I didn’t want the extra dishes) and they turned out perfectly.  I also used cheater pie crust but I made it cute with a little maple leaf cut out.  Smile

And home-made turkey soup is actually REALLY easy, the longest thing is cutting the onion, celery and carrots.  Honestly, you put the turkey carcass in a big pot and cover with water.  Toss in a quartered onion, the tops of some celery (the leafy part), some chunks of carrot and throw in whatever fresh herbs you have (or some dried parsley, thyme, and whatever else you feel like).  Let it simmer for a few hours then run it through a strainer…now you have your turkey stock.  Now just add new chopped onion, celery and carrots (and whatever other vege’s you feel like) and cook them until the vege’s are soft.  Then add the shredded turkey and some egg noodles and cook until the noodles are tender.  DONE

It is seriously that easy and you get to have a kitchen the smells delicious all day long for minimal work.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment